The Stone Stele of Sek Bei Tau
Embedded with the former name of Ng Tung River as “Fung Kai” (the River of Phoenix) is the stone stele of Sek Bei Tau that edges the river channel. It documents several momentous dam reconstruction projects that took place in 1954, 1956, and 1957 in details, revealing a history of local effort in collaboration with government officials and British Field Regiments that not only mitigated the detrimental effect brought by floodwaters, but also significantly improved the agriculture sector in the New Territories. In 2000, the government proposed to take down the stone stele during a redesign project of the dam. After further study, its historical value was recognised and was therefore relocated to the pond of flower field instead.